I’m a syndicated columnist for Forbes, Harvard Business, Review, the Huffington Post, and Business Insider. In addition, I’m a bestselling author.
I believe that digital relationships are just as important and authentic as offline relationships, and in some ways, more so. As technology and culture continue to evolve, this will only become more and more obvious.
We build online relationships through content. However, this has drawbacks;
People Have Limited Attention. Communicating online is different than a one-on-one conversation. It is more like communicating with someone halfway across a crowded room by having them overhear what you’re saying.
Social Media Is Addictive. Refreshing your browser to see what other people commented on your content or to see how many people liked it can quickly become a major source of distraction in your life.
Awkward at First. Communicating online requires a whole new set of skills that take time and vulnerability to learn.
There will be different winners and losers online than offline because different ways of communicating are rewarded and punished.
My longform articles use storytelling and research to uncover new ways of building authentic relationships online and to explain the shifts that are happening.
In 2003, while an undergraduate student at New York University, I wrote The Student Success Manifesto. The book has since become a bestseller and received testimonials from top students, professors, entrepreneurs, and celebrities such as Russell Simmons (Founder of Def Jam), Paul Orfalea (Founder of Kinko’s), Mark Victor Hansen (#1 Bestselling Co-Author of the Chicken Soup for the Soul Series), and Stephen Covey (#1 Bestselling Author of 7 Habits of Highly Effective People).
“Recommended Reading for Young Entrepreneurs”
- Wall Street Journal
- The Relationship Building Principle That Dale Carnegie Got Wrong
- Why Social Media Is Not A Distraction For Entrepreneurs
- The #1 Relationship Building Habit You Should Do Daily
- How Asking For Favors Can Build Your Relationships
- The Surprising Science Behind How Super Connectors Scale Their Networks
- How To Grow Your Network Like A Super Connector
- How The World’s Top Relationship Builder Makes Introductions
- How Giving In The Right Way Can Transform Your Business
- If You Want To Go Fast, Go Alone. If You Want To Go Far, Go Together
- What Silicon Valley Entrepreneurs Get Wrong: 7 Lessons From the Rest of the Ecosystem
- The Hidden Work-Life Balance Crisis Among Entrepreneurs.
- Is The 70-Hour Work Week Worth The Sacrifice?
- What Startups Need to Understand About The Booming Corporate Entrepreneurship Ecosystem
- How To Give Potential Customers What They Want While Still Being True To Yourself